I am not one for resolutions because I tend to make them and within about 3 weeks, I end them. I have resolved everything you can possibly think of and failed at all of them so many years ago I resolved not to resolve-- and that has worked pretty well up until now. This year I am feeling things are different. Besides indulging myself over the last 2 months to the point none of my clothes fit (I'm totally not joking either-- very few actually fit and while I will not weigh, I'm guessing its at least 7 pounds) I am also feeling that there are too many things up in the air in my life that this year might actually be a good year to make a few resolutions in order to tie some things up. So..... drum roll...... I am going to make a few 2010 Resolutions!!!!!!
1. First off I have to go with the old weight loss goal. I know it is the standard for many but funny thing, I have not done this resolution for a long time. As many of you know, I had gastric bypass 9 years ago and have maintained my weight pretty well. After surgery, you still can go up and down- and I have- within about a 10 pound range. Right now, I am at the absolute upper range of what I am comfortable with-- actually I am not comfortable at all. You know that feeling when you are not comfy in your own skin and you are always fiddling with your clothes because they just don't fit comfortably-- well that's me right now. I just am not happy with the way I feel right now so I am resolving to lose weight. I know that sounds wishy washy but that is the most I will do. I'm not calling it a diet and I wont say it is Adkins or Weight Watchers-- It is watching what I eat and portion control. It has worked for me in the past and I plan on it working for me this time.
2. The second old resolution everyone has - I want to start moving. I am a pretty active person and am very busy, but I have not worked out in years and years. I hate working out and luckily I have always been able to maintain my weight by just watching what I eat, but that is not enough this time. I am noticing that I am getting excessively flabby and I think my muscle mass is shrinking-- which I don't like! Back in the day I was in amazing shape and even won a weight lifting competition. I gain muscle fast and I was strong- real strong- and even when I was really heavy, I still had muscle. Well, I think that is fading and I want it back. I don't like the flab and I need it gone. So, I am going to move-- not sure how or where at this point but it could be a gym membership or something else, but I am resolving to move and gain muscle mass.
3. Next resolution has to do with the business side of things. I started 2 new companies this past year. The first and main company is my private practice called Cornerstone Educational Solutions. This is where I do all the court evaluations. My private practice is going well but I want to make the goal to double business. I judge this based on evaluations I performed in 2009 and I am doubling it. It is a doable feat and I am up for it. I need to do marketing and more presentations to judges and attorneys- which I have done plenty this past year- but I need to ramp it up to get the business really thriving.
4. My next business baby is my new nonprofit my friend helped me create. As many of you know, my kids began attending a private Christian School this year. Most private schools do not service special ed students, therefore I worked with my boys school to create a special ed type program. We service mild learning disabled students, we started a speech program and have a counseling intern program. I'm really proud of what we have created at UCA, therefore I wanted to help other private schools do the same. I started a nonprofit called APSSE- Alliance of Private Schools for Special Education. I just had my logo and cards done so I am in the beginnings, but my goal for this year is to get the business going and to help as many families as possible. I know that is kind of a loosey goosey goal, but I am in the beginning stages of this business, therefore I don't have anything to base this off so my goal is for it to grow.
5. My next resolution is to spend more quality time with my family. We have so many things going on that I feel like we need to do more quality things together- play games- continue with our Friday night pizza night- and anything that is quality. We really enjoy time together but it is often frustrating as well. I get annoyed and irritated by the kids very easily and I think a lot of that is because I have so many things going on so my mind is always all over the place. I think about 10 different things all at once. I multi task to a fault and because of that I tend to be distracted and easily annoyed by my children. They often are just being kids but I do not tolerate their antics and it often ends in frustration. I hate that part about me and I want to par it down. I want to work when I work and relax and spend time with my family when it is time to do so. So, I want to spend more quality time with my family!
6. I want to resolve to do date nights once every two weeks. We use to be very religious on date nights once a week when the boys were younger but since Mia came home we have been more sporadic. One thing I know about Kevin and I is that we need time alone to rejuvenate therefore, I resolve to make date night a priority and to have one every two weeks (wish I could be once a week but there is no way financially we can do date night- paying a babysitter etc. once a week- wish we could but sadly not feasible right now.)
7. I want to try to get more involved in our Church ministries. We are actively involved in our Sunday School but I want to start working in a ministry this next year. My dad always says there is a season in every ones lives where they can actively be involved and other times to sit back and take care of your family. We are right in between that statement. We are busy but need to make the time to be a part of a ministry. Therefore, I resolve to get involved in a ministry at our church.
I think that is all I'm going to resolve to at this point-- not that 7 is enough- right?? Anyway, that is where I am at. I have a lot of things swirling around in my mind and I think I can totally pull more resolutions together but these are the main things I want to focus on right now. I don't want to get down on myself if I fail, but all the things I am resolving to are things that are things I am already starting up, therefore they should be right up my alley.