Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

Here Is What We Are Up To!!!

A week ago we were in perfect weather in Pismo beach only to return on Sunday to 100+ degrees at home. We entered into this past week with hot days that gave way to totally cold days. Here in sunny southern California it has been raining cats and dogs and it is cold-- yes rain and cold!!! What is up with this?? I was totally loving the heat-- even the hot weather because it was as if summer was already here. Now we have snow in the mountains and rain literally pouring down like cats and dogs. It is more rain in a few days than we got all winter long-- crazy weather. Plus, about 40 miles from here we actually had a tornado!!! A tornado in so cal!! It didn’t do any damage but I heard it was powerful-- again crazy!! We just don’t get tornados (or rain for that matter) in this area.

So besides the weather being strange there is talk of all these reverse earthquakes (something we here in so cal are familiar with) and animals are acting really strange and all the experts are saying we are in for a big massive earthquake!!! What the heck??? So with all the devastation around the world-- cyclones killing what, thousands-- earthquakes killing thousands in china and just all the sad stuff recently, it has really got me down. I feel like I have been crying more in the last couple weeks than I have in years. Toady there was a funeral for one of Kevin’s coworkers whose daughter (25 years old and a budding fashion designer living and working in la) who was killed by a drink driver last Friday. Then we hear about the tragedy with Maria (Steven Curtis Chapman’s adopted 5 year old daughter from china) being accidentally being ran over by her older brother (please pray for this family-- just am amazing tragedy) and that just about topped things off for me. Then being depressed already with all the horrors I happen to be home today to watch Oprah and they are discussing drunk drivers killing people. This one family had a family wedding and they were all in a limo going home and were hit head on by a drunk driver going 70 mph the wrong way on the freeway. Everyone was severely hurt but their 8 year old daughter was killed immediately (decapitated) and the mom who was hurt minimally sat on the side of the road with her 8 year old daughters head in her lap just stroking her hair as she watched the fire department cut her family members from the wreckage. It was literally heart wrenching and I am still crying as I am typing this. There is just tragedy everywhere right now. I just am baffled and I feel so wounded. I am usually a very upbeat and happy person but all this horror has really got me down. I am just depressed right now. Anyone feeling the same way? I sure hope I snap out of it because I feel like I am crying at the drop of a hat about everything. Ugggg!!! I just don’t feel like me.

Ok, ill snap out of it for now because I do have a fun weekend ahead. Tonight we are taking the boys to dinner and to see Indiana Jones (Mia will be there too but I will probably have to take her out). The boys are looking forward to seeing the movie and I am looking forward to kabuki!! Tomorrow night is a big night for us!!! My parents bought us tickets to wicked for Kevin and my birthdays so tomorrow night is the night we go-- yaaaa!!! I love love love the wicked music and I can hardly wait. We invited our friends Brian and heather to go with us and since Brian owns a few limos, we are going in one. We are leaving early like 4pm and heading to lawrey's in Beverly hills-- a very nice restaurant. Then we head to the play. Kevin's parents are babysitting so kids are taken care of-- yaaaa!!!! I can hardly wait!! Then Sunday we have church and then a pool party at our friends Dave and Kimberly’s house that may just turn into a non pool party in light of the weather. Anyway, getting together with friends is always a blast. Monday is Memorial Day and I am not sure what the kids and I will do but Kevin picked up overtime that day to help out so he will be at work till 7pm. I am sure we will find something fun to do-- Disney anyone???

So, despite the depression and the horrors in the world at the present time, am really excited about this weekend.

Here is just a snip of what we will see tomorrow!!!



THE NEXT COOL THING THAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK IS-- WELL I WILL JUST SHOW YOU--



Yes, the camera I have been searching for-- reading review after review-- checking prices all over the place-- asking others what they shoot with-- has been decided on----- drum roll-------- it is the brand new Nikon d60 with the 18-55 VR lens and the 55-200 VR zoom lens. It is so cool and I am totally excited about it. I have been shopping for quite some time and finally decided to just suck it up and make a decision and get the camera. We are going to Maui Hawaii at the beginning of august and I want to know the camera well by then so I figure I needed a few months of practice to get to a comfy level with it, therefore, I decided just to get it!! I am a total and utter novice. I know literally nothing-- what is an f stop? I have no clue-- but I am learning. I even ordered a Nikon d60 training video online last night. It should be here this next week and it is 2 DVD’s and it is supposed to be very detailed and exhaustive so I am sure I will an expert by the time I finish the DVD’s --haha!!! What is funny is that I know my vices. Shopping is a total vice and I shop when depressed. I have been looking at this camera and others for months now but I think what finally drove me to buy it yesterday was the sheer depression and depressing events going on. So at least I know it was a bit of a depression induced buy, but I do not regret it-- I am actually quite excited-- the depression actually pushed me to make a final decision :)

So, I really don’t have much to post other than that-- which actually is a lot but no cute Mia pics or cute kid pics. I will have some after I figure out the basics of my new camera and I am sure after this weekend I will have some cool pics to post.

Have a great weekend!!

17 comments:

  1. Hey Christy...I just got a new Nikon DSLR camera too! I got the D40, which is just like the D60, but the D60 has more megapixels. I also have the two VR lenses. It's a very easy camera to get going with, and you learn along the way. If you go to my blog, you'll see a few pictures I took with it, but you know I have a very good model! I really got tired of the slow shutter speeds of the point and shoot. Good luck with it, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm not sure if I've ever posted here before but I just had to chime in on this one. I, too, have been down and kindof in a funk after seeing all of the devastating natural disasters over the past few weeks. We actually had a 5.2 quake here a few weeks back..very unusual for Ky. Then last week my cat got very ill and had to be rushed to the emergency vet. He was doing better initially but died a few days later. Then this horrible accident with the Chapmans. And today our church van with our Seniors group on board blew a tire and overturned on the freeway. 5 people were rushed to the hospital but no one seriously injured, thank God. So yeah..I'm feeling the "funk" too. It's a drag. But we're heading to Savannah for vacation this coming week so hopefully that will help.
    I hadn't heard about the increased worry about a major earthquake in CA. I guess all you can do is come up with an emergency plan and prepare just in case. I'll be praying for ya. I hope you have a fun and restorative Memorial day weekend.

    Gin =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tornado you mentioned was four miles from our home and tipped over several freight cars and a tanker on the freeway. So strange!

    We saw Wicked this week and it was FABULOUS!!!! You will love every second of it.

    I can't get the Chapman's out of my mind. I'm heartbroken and feel as if this happened to someone I know personally. I keep imagining what I would do if this happened to my own daughter which depresses me more.

    This weather is definitely not helping my mood either.

    Hang in there!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally feeling the depression too. I am just grieving so deeply for the entire Chapman family with this double tragedy. My heart goes out to the brother more than anyone, I guess.

    So much stuff going on with China, Myanmar, and now the Chapmans just sent me into a sadness that will take some time to work through. I read tonight that at the visitation, the Chapmans received people for 4 hours until their pastor told them to go home and get rest even though there was still a line of people waiting. What gracious people they are!

    Hope your weekend helps you regain your sunny self.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous! I soooooo want to see Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I thought it was just me! I am normally not a weepy person, but I break out in tears at the drop of a pin. I think it's just that all of these things have hit so close to the hearts of those of us who have adopted from China.

    Let's hope for only good things to come in these next few months of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have SO been there lately too. I just haven't been able to pin point where my feelings have been coming from. Maybe mine are the same...who knows. But it's YUCKY being down in the dumps!!! All this crazy weather is definitely the beginining of the signs of the end of the times! It's amazing to watch each thing take place. It is just all fulfilling prophecy.

    I hope you have a good time seeing Wicked. I bet it is going to be GREAT!!! I so NEED a night out...time away from the kiddos. I am so much better with them when I have some time away, and lately, I've had not one ounce of time and they are actually driving me crazy!!! So...maybe we'll have something to go do soon!!!

    Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend. If we were near you, we'd meet you at Disney!! :) Hope you feel better soon!
    Love ya,
    Buffi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a bad case of the blues, too. What is up with that?? Hope you have a nice 3-day weekend, and that the weather cooperates. How fun to live so close to Disney!

    I have a question for you, because you live in Southern California. In August, my son starts college in Ojai. Flying into Oxnard is too expensive, although it is the closest. In your opinion, what is a best choice for an LA area airport? We are going to rent a car, and drive from LA. Thanks, and I hope you don't mind me asking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ashley,

    I actually live closer to Ojai than Christy. Actually, I'm just 30 minutes south of Oxnard.

    You can try Santa Barbara Airport, but I think you will run into the same problem, but check it anyway. Probably the lease expensive is LAX which is about 1 hour south of Oxnard, but it is the large international airport too. It depends on what you want. Sometimes layovers at LAX to Oxnard or Santa Barbara can be just as long as getting a car and driving. I'll ask my husband if he has any ideas on a better airport. You can email me at thorvet@hotmail.com

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear that you are in funk! I saw that episode of Oprah a few months ago and it still haunts me. It's a really crazy world right now. I had no idea about the California tornado until one of my good girlfriends who live very close to you e-mailed me a picture of it!

    I'm happy to hear that you have a great weekend to look forward to! Take care, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you are going to have a fun weekend..Can't wait to see new pictures with your new camera....
    If you go to Disney.. don't forget to look for Isabella's fluffy Mickey or Minnie...
    Cheer up girly..
    LOVE YA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a wonderful weekend! Cool camera. And man 100+, that is hot girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your depression. The world is a crazy place nowadays. I, too, have a heavy heart for the Chapman family. What a tragedy.

    Can't wait to see pictures with your new camera. I wish we lived closer because we have never been to Disney before! We are soooo deprived! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I am feeling the same way and so glad I didn't see the oprah show. One more thing may throw me over the edge!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy,

    What a horrible story about the Mom & her little girl - very tragic. I, too, have been feeling sick & sad the last week. the same day that the Chapman's little girl was hit, our friend's 21 month old was hit by a car in her driveway & she too passed. It was her brother's 4th birthday. Her Mom watched it happen. I have been feeling clothed in a spirit of sadness. I am sure that it is satan trying to get us all to doubt the sovereignty of God at times such as these...I sure hope that the feelings get shook soon though! I am glad that you are feeling better!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOve the pics with your new camera! Very vivid. I have the Nikon D-80 and LOVE IT! Looks like a great weekend and lots of fun at dinner and Wicked. You guys always seem to be having SO much fun!

    Kim

    Happy Anniversary too on Gothca day---I missed that post somehow.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am right with you. I shop when I'm depressed too. I have been in such a funk this week, as well.

    LOVE The camera! It is so much fun to get something new like that. The pics look great!

    ReplyDelete