Anyway, today has been a long day full of paperwork and driving. We literally spent the whole day driving. Because they are shortening our trip because of Chinese New Year there are a few things that we had to hand carry and Fushun, the city the orphanage is in, is far away and traffic made it even worse. Literally, we spent most of the day in the car but Finley did amazing!! She has amazingly attached to Kevin!!! Even last night, our guide had to come back to get some paperwork signed and we both were very worried about Finley seeing her because we worried she would reattach to Maggie and that all the progress she had made with Kevin would be gone. BUT, we did see Maggie and Finley wanted nothing to do with her. She answered her questions and spoke to her a bit, but she was firmly attached to Kevin and had no interest in shifting that to Maggie. We both are so thankful for the amazing bond between the two of them-- now as for me-- I'm not quite so well received :( At this point it is safe to say that she wants pretty much nothing to do with me. In my comments from yesterday one mom mentioned that she was merely a lowly assistant to her husband and I am fitting that role to a tee!!! She will give me her used gum and trash and here and there I am lucky enough to help her go to the bathroom, but other than that, I am invisible. It was funny, Kevin and Finley were sitting on the couch in our room a few minutes ago and I gave her a cashew and she liked it so I got more and sat next to her to give them to her. She immediately gave me a mean look and grabbed Kevin's hand and jumped in his lap and would not even look at me. It was funny and sad at the same time. As much as it makes me sad that she wants nothing to do with me, it also makes me soooooo happy that she finds comfort in Kevin. That is a true blessing and I cant imagine if she did not find comfort in one of us-- that would be horrible. I know she will come around eventually. I do hope it is sometime on this trip that she decides I'm ok because that would be hard to be shunned the whole trip-- but I am ok if that happens-- she WILL come around :)
OK, so what do we know about our little Finley right now.
1. She is a jabber jaws-- she just jabbers constantly in Chinese telling Kevin all about everything and we smile and repeat what she says. According to Maggie, she is saying a ton of full sentences and makes full sense. Maggie says her language is amazing for her age-- I'm so pleased and that is a wonderful indicator that her English will come quick.
2. She is neat and orderly-- She loves everything to have it's place and she makes us laugh as she is better at organization than we are.
3. She loves bubbles and has the cutest giggle you have ever heard. Her favorite thing is to play bubbles with kev-- or look out the window with Kev and tell him all about what she sees.
4. She is very independent and will tell you if she needs to pee or poo and then lead you with her to the toilet.
5. She has wild hair-- it is not the texture of Mia's rather is has a curl right on top and makes for styling very difficult. It has a ton of body so I think once it is long and the weight of it pulls it down then it will be easier. For now-- styling is a challenge to say the least.
6. She will need a scar revision- The scar on her bum is fine but there is a very large collection of fat-- really just jiggly fat-- that has made a huge bump above her scar. It will need to be removed as it is very large and totally in the way for clothes and even just comfort. She has not expressed any discomfort but as large as it is, it has to be in the way-- so we will get a revision as soon as we are allowed.
7. She has a very compliant and sweet personality. She is just a sweet little girl who wants to help. Everyone is impressed with her compliance- they are also impressed with how well she is attached to Kevin.
8. Kevin would like to add that Finley is ridiculously cute--- in his own words!!! I agree!!
9. She will say things in English if you tell her to repeat. Maggie told her to say the things we were pointing to in English and she would repeat. She did a great job and her pronunciation was great!!! English is going to come very fast I am sure!
10. Her fine motor and gross motor is great! She has amazing chop stick skills and can color in the lines very well. Fine motor is amazing for her age and gross seems spot on as well!
11. She is Kevin's shadow and even if he gets up to walk 2 feet away, she will get up and walk with him.
Other than that, she is doing great. She slept from about 7:15pm to 6am this morning and I just woke her up one time to pee-- woke up totally dry-- yaaa!!!!
She is chewing on a balloon that Kevin gave to her
Dinner last night. Chop stick skills are amazing and we were told that kids in China do not start eating with chopsticks until they are about 8, so Finley is doing great!!!
Showing her skills.
All bundled to go back outside
Sleeping sound! She sucks her two middle fingers to fall asleep-- too cute!!
Breakfast this morning along side her favorite person on earth
Finalizing the adoption. We had to do a thumb print for each signature
Kevin and his print
Finley had to to her hand print-- she was not sure what to think of it
But she did fine and put the print where it needed to be
Love that look
Attempting to smile
We had to apply for her passport in Fushun which was a horribly long drive in traffic both ways. They are having to expedite the passport for us because of Chinese New Year
This was pretty much the picture for the passport but they photo shopped her pigtails out because her hair had to be "plain". It is a funny picture
Pointing to the camera. You can see she has a little bump on her head and a few on her nose area. It is a virus that I guess takes 6 months to a year to go away. My friend whose daughter also had these (which I guess they are very common her and in the US) is looking up a homeopathic remedy she says works much faster. She also has a bruise-- not sure what from.
Falling asleep on daddy on the way home from Fushun.
Tomorrow we head to the airport at 10:30 and fly out at 1pm and arrive in Guangzhou at 5pm. I cant wait to meet so many of my friends from RQ in GZ!!! YAAA!!!
Kids we miss you so much. I miss you a ton and want a big hug and kiss from all of you. We got back to our hotel too late today to call - it was midnight your time when we finally got home so we are sorry we could not call but we will tomorrow. We love and miss you so much-- the trip is now half over-- be home soon!!!