Thursday, September 29, 2011

HELP!! I don't know what to do...

I am at a loss right now. After Finley's horrific test last week I decided a couple days ago to call the urology department where she is having a test called a CMG this afternoon. I left the nurse practitioner a message asking what the test entails so we both can be prepared-- like we WERE NOT with the last test.

The nurse practitioner called me back while I was walking the girls into preschool this morning (so I missed her call) and she left me a message about what the test is like. Turns out, it is WAY WORSE than the one last week. It sounds horrible-- 90  minutes long- insert catheters into urethra and anus and then fill up everything and it is just horrible. I called the nurse back to ask more questions but she has not yet returned my call.

I am at a loss. Kevin is out of town so I have to take her to the appointment myself and I just don't know what to do. I am in tears right now because I cant imagine making her go through this again. She was so scared last time and barley made it through the test and now I have to subject her to something even worse. I don't know if I can do it. I seriously am sitting here trying to decided if I should take her or not. This test was not ordered because she is showing issues rather it was to get a baseline of her bladder pressure so it is not something that is imperative.

I honestly don't know what to do. How can I make her go through something so horrible again? I don't know what to do. Can you guys pray for the situation and any words would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know what to do...


  1. Christy - can you contact her primary doc and get his thoughts / opinion on this test? Is it needed now? Will be praying.

    Mike Congalton

  2. Oh Christy...I haven't been commenting, but have been following along~I am so sorry you are dealing with this..I guess my first thoughts this test absolutely necessary RIGHT NOW, since she is not having any issues?? I cannot imagine subjecting her to this right now especially after just coming out of the experience of the last test, if it isn't imperative.

    Praying for wisdom...xoxo

  3. Bless your heart!! First off do you think subjecting her to this test will push her back in attachment or was she still trusting of you after the last on. If she HAS to have it then you don't really have a choice. I guess I'm more worried about the effect on her emotionally if she has trust issues as my Madeline has. If not then I would trust what the doctor says and go with it, any way she can be sedated or given something to help her not remember, can't remember what that drug is called. Madeline had to have it before her surgery this past summer,she talked to us and was upset when they took her from us but did not remember later. I am so very sorry you are going through this. I will be praying for a wise decision for you and that you receive wise counsel from the nurse!!

  4. Hi Christy, I have read your blog for a while. I'm a mom of 3 grown children. I feel your horror of having to put Finley through another difficult test. Trust your mother instincts, which seem to be saying "No, this is too much for her to have to go through." Since she is not showing any problems with her bladder, etc., surely it could at least be put off for a while. As in a previous comment, I think her psychological/emotional/attachment issues are more important right now. Sometimes I think the medical world goes overboard on these kinds of tests. I had a daughter who went through years of testing and check-ups for possibly having lupus. Nothing ever showed up. Fortunately they were not nearly as awful as what Finley has been through, but in retrospect we could have avoided a lot of time, money and concern if we could have trusted she was OK and decided to wait a bit to see how she did. Good luck. Becky

  5. Christy, My little girl is also from China. If I were in your shoes, I would not put her through this, and would only do it later if the physician said it was absolutely necessary. I have found that they will end up doing alot of things that are just not necessary, and cause alot of stress for NO REASON! If you pray about this, I think you will get the same answer. Just my thoughts and you have to do what you think is right, but I think you doubt the necessity of that test as well. Will be praying for you and Finley!

  6. Hi Christy
    I'm an adoptive mama and blog reader. I'm not a Doctor, but it sounds like Finley is doing fine and it does not sound like this test is 100% necassary right now.

    1. Can a different Dr. give you a second opinion?
    2. Can Finley be sedated?

    My mama heart feels that it is your job to protect her and right now I think you should say NO to this test. She needs to feel secure and it is just MUCH too soon right now.

    NO NO NO NO!!!

    (Like I said, I'm not a Dr. but this all seems like "overkill" and is putting her through torture for what seems like no reason.)

  7. I just re-read your post.

    Sounds like even your Dr. said it is not imperative and that she is not showing issues!!! Please don't do it!!! She needs to know she is safe and this is just too much.

  8. I am a pediatric nurse and not familiar with the test, but I would ask if she could receive sedation for the test, I realize the last test they did not want her sedated. If the test is only for baseline and she cannot be sedated, I would ask many more questions before consenting to this procedure.

  9. Praying for you & Finley, Christy, I can only imagine how you are feeling. Hugs to you along with the prayers.